Wednesday, March 16, 2011

NaNoWriMo: The Finishing

After November finished, I couldn't even look at my novel without feeling sick.  I'm sure this happens to most of us who attempt to conquer this goal.  You just get sick of typing like a mad-man (or woman, in my case) and every ounce of creativity has been drained for your fingers.

I didn't even want to think about my novel.  I accepted the pats-on-the-back of congratulations, but when anyone asked "so what's it about," I usually deflected the question with a hearty "it's really crappy, don't worry about it."

In my heart though, I know I'm a decent writer.  I write the sort of plots that I know I would enjoy reading, and with this novel, I actually have a beginning, a  middle, and an end (well nearly so).  That makes me feel great, but I still didn't want to think about the thing until just recently.

Here's my problem: my life has gotten "loose."  Let me explain - I'm not sleeping around, don't ring the alarms! - I have no structure right now.  Starting in July I had so much structure that it was easy for me to complete tasks: 1) C25K, 2) Crochet-a-long mystery afghan, 3) NaNoWriMo.  All of these things overlapped last year, and I'm a creature of habit, if I know I should be running at 5am, I do it; I know I should write on my lunch break, I do it; I know I should be crocheting from the moment my butt hits the couch, I do it.  After X-mas, NaNoWriMo was over, my race was done, and afghans were gifted, I felt sort of lost.  I still do actually.  My weight loss leveled out, I haven't exercised in months and until just earlier this month I haven't really had a project to crochet.  I've lost all my steam!

I came to this realization just an hour ago: I need goals in order to accomplish anything, I need structure and deadlines to really keep myself on track!

I was reading an excerpt of my 2010 NaNovel during my lunch break and I was enthralled by the plot, I wanted to read more.  When I finished the 1700 words, I immediately wanted to pull out my laptop, hit print and start editing and finishing my novel!  I think I may have my motivator again!  I've given myself until the end of April to have it finished and ready for editing.  I've also vowed to start running again.

I need to give myself some structure so I can get back on track in life!!

No comments:

Post a Comment